Happy Birthday to Miss Austen.
I wish she didn’t die as young as she did, for the world could have used a few more of her sparkling, witty novels.
Here are a few facts about Jane Austen:
- She was a loving aunt to her nieces and nephews.
- She was engaged to Harris Bigg-Wither but broke off her engagement. I’d like to think it’s because she wanted to remain independent and free to pursue her writing career.
- Jane’s sister Cassandra told their niece Caroline (their brother James’s daughter) that Jane fell in love with a clergyman. We don’t know his name and we’ll never know what really happened.
- Jane Austen loved the countryside and gardens. She enjoyed public gardens and tending her own garden in Bath.
- Jane Austen didn’t have much interest in fashion, but she didn’t mind making her characters very fashionable and fashion-conscious.
What are some of your favorite Jane Austen facts?